Liverpool women’s hospital: three terror arrests after man killed in taxi explosion | UK news


Three males have been arrested underneath terror laws after a passenger was killed when the taxi he was in exploded outdoors a Liverpool hospital.

The males – aged 29, 26 and 21 – had been detained in the Kensington space of town and arrested underneath the Terrorism Act, police stated.

The male passenger was declared useless on the scene outdoors the Women’s hospital and is but to be formally recognized.

The taxi driver was injured in the explosion on Sunday morning and he stays in hospital in a secure situation.

It was introduced earlier on Sunday that counter-terrorism police would lead the inquiry. In an announcement, counter-terrorism police north-west stated: “We are leading the investigation with support from Merseyside police, and are keeping an open mind as to what has caused the explosion. We are working at a rapid pace to try and establish the circumstances behind this and will update in due course.”

Liverpool’s mayor, Joanne Anderson, described the incident as “unsettling and upsetting” as she thanked the emergency providers for his or her swift response.

Police had been known as at 10.59am on Sunday morning to stories of a automobile explosion outdoors town centre hospital. Photographs of a burning automobile rapidly circulated on social media, in addition to stories the bomb squad was in attendance, alongside police, hearth and the ambulance service.

“Unfortunately, we can confirm that one person has died and another has been taken to hospital where he is being treated for his injuries, which thankfully are not life threatening,” Merseyside police stated.

“So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred. Work is still going on to establish what has happened, and could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything.

“We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion but given how it has happened, out of caution, counter-terrorism police are leading the investigation supported by Merseyside police.”

Cordons remained in place on Sunday night, alongside some highway closures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post